The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard is the world’s leading biomedical research institute dedicated to the bold mission of using the full power of genomics to transform the understanding and treatment of disease. The Broad Institute seeks to describe all of the molecular components of life and their connections; discover the molecular basis of major human diseases; develop effective new approaches to diagnostics and therapeutics; and disseminate discoveries, tools, methods, and data openly to the entire scientific community. Founded in 2004 by Eric Lander and philanthropists Eli and Edythe L. Broad, the Broad Institute includes faculty, professional staff, and students from throughout the MIT and Harvard biomedical research communities and beyond, with collaborations spanning more than a hundred private and public institutions in more than 40 countries worldwide.
The Sabeti Lab at Harvard University and the Broad Institute develops and uses cutting-edge experimental techniques to study viral evolution and diagnose viral infections. We are also developing CRISPR-based viral diagnostics and antiviral therapies with the aim of creating a rapid development platform for new viral diagnostics and therapies.
We seek a highly motivated individual to work closely with senior researchers within the Sabeti Lab at The Broad Institute. The ability to communicate effectively, work well in a team setting, and a strong desire to learn new methods are required. The applicant will interact with members of the group assisting with molecular cloning, DNA/RNA preparation, qPCR, CRISPR-based RNA cleavage assay development, assay optimization, and Illumina sequencing. The position offers an excellent opportunity to participate in a dynamic research environment in an exciting fast-paced field of research, with opportunities for international travel. Your work will be central to several major research projects, including collaborations with other top labs at the Broad Institute and across the United States. This position will allow for professional advancement, skill development, and co-authorship on high-impact publications.
· Conducts experiments and/or assays following standard or detailed protocol; identifies and documents variations that may affect the validity of the experiment.
· Data collection and analysis. Performs quality control, monitors data for accuracy, and discusses results within agreed upon timelines with supervisor.
· Validate and conduct studies based upon standard experimental protocols within the agreed upon timelines with supervisor/technical manager and ensure functionality and maintenance of instrumentation and/or reagent stocks.
· Demonstrated management success in coordinating and/or conducting multiple, concurrent assignments or a multi-faceted project.
· Advanced computer skills, ability to develop technical documents and presentations.
· Willingness and ability to work flexible shifts (evening/weekend/holiday).
· Bachelor’s degree in the biological sciences, bioengineering or related field OR ≥3 years of related experience.
· 1+ years of undergraduate or postgraduate research experience in a laboratory setting.
· Ability to think creatively to solve problems.
· Proficient with molecular biology techniques.
· Experience with either RNA biochemistry OR viral work is desired.
· Strong computer skills desired.
· Established understanding of good safety practices and a demonstrated history of safe conduct.
· High level of initiative and motivation; ability to work independently and with a team.
· Excellent communication, organization, and time management skills
The Broad Institute will not offer Visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
A cover letter outlining general interests, and career goals should be submitted with a CV/Resume as one document at this link.